Dapaanz offers up to 12 months Leave of Absence for registered/endorsed members who need to take time out of addiction practice and who may not be able to complete the required hours of practice, supervision and/or professional development to maintain their endorsement or registration in any given registration year.
Common reasons for requesting Leave of Absence (LOA) are parental leave, illness, unemployment, or overseas travel.
During the Leave of Absence, the member’s profile in the Member Directory will note their LOA status and that they are not permitted to work in addiction services in Aotearoa New Zealand during that period.
An LOA protects your registration/endorsement status over the period, where you may not be available to practice. Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points and supervision requirements are suspended for the period.
- Formally request LOA, by writing to the dapaanz Registrar, prior to going on leave.
- If more than 12 months of LOA is required, apply for an extension before the first year is completed.
- Inform dapaanz before returning to addiction practice.
Maintaining Membership and Registration during and after LOA
- While on LOA, members need to maintain an annual standard membership.
- Before becoming registered again, the member needs to pay the full registration fee, and confirm that, prior to the LOA, they met registration requirements (i.e. CPD points, line manager and supervisor reports). This may occur at their regular time of renewal, or earlier if returning to practice before renewal is due.
- To become registered again, CPD points on return to practice are calculated pro rata using the following guide:
- For up to 3 months LOA: 75 CPD points are required
- From 3 to 6 months LOA: 50 CPD points are required
- From 6 to 9 months LOA: 25 CPD points are required
- From 9 to 12 months LOA: no CPD points are required
Please contact the Registrar with any queries as soon as possible if you are contemplating a Leave of Absence.